Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Note: if scared and quesy about spiders, don't read this post, or even look at it

Special note to Missy:
Do Not read this post.
-
-
-
-
-
All sHaKeN uP and literally sick to my stomach!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I found this, this morning on the floor in the basement. Thank goodness it was already dead. I didn't know that at the time that I had grabbed it. I had to move quickly, 1. so the girls didn't see it and 2. so the freak of a thing didn't get away. I couldn't imagine trying to catch this thing and it jumping at me and bitting my head off.
I used a baby doll diaper to grab it and I ran upstairs like the dickens, trying to figure out what I was going to do with this thing. (of course the thought popped into my mind, "take a picture so you can put it on the blog") I also wanted to save it for Matthew to see:) I put it in a cup and confirmed it was dead. When I first saw this thing, I seriously had to inspect it to even figure out that it was a honking spider. At first, I thought it was a toy. Then I thought what kind of toy is that. I got closer, and then a little closer and said to myself, in disbelief, NOT UH!! Than I looked for something to grab it with while trying to remain calm.
The mission was accomplished, because Aleah didn't have a clue and she just kept asking my why I said, "Oh my gosh" (We don't say that in our house, because when she repeats it, it sounds like she's taking the Lord's name in vain.)
Anyway, it makes my legs weak to think about and I was pretty jumpy going back down to the basement.
You know I'll be praying like crazy that nothing eats me and my family while we are sleeping tonight!
Here's another picture with the bottom of a glass next to it so you have a better idea of the size of this spidy. The picture is a little cropped, but there is no zoom used. Seriously nasty.
Why did these things come with the fall?

11 comments:

Em said...

ewwwww.

Stacia said...

Even though I loathe spiders, my curiosity got the best of me and I read on....YUCK!!!! You poor thing. I would have passed out! Glad you lived to tell the tale.

And I can't believe little Nani is 2!!! It's crazy how little these girls just were and now how grown up they seem. How fun for Nani and Aleah to get to swing and swim and party on her b-day. Cute pics of the girls, too!

(Last thing, I promise... when are you going to post pics of your new place?! I bet you've already made everyone in the neighborhood jealous with your decorating savvy.)

Olayan Family said...

I am not sure if I should laugh because I can totally imagine the whole thing or freak out! I have to say, better you than me . . . sorry:) You handled it a lot better than I would have!

E n D said...

No Way! That's the sickest spider I've ever seen. Props to you for not freaking out the girls!

Mashaide said...

It's just a little spider...nothing to get too freaked out about. =0) I think everyone in this house hold of ours is freaked out about spiders except Rock and I. So we always hear a lot of screaming and such with kids freaking out about them.

Wow! I think I would have seen how to get that thing (what do you call it when you want save something) I don't know the word right now but you know what I mean. Then you could seriously use that for pranks.

I'm surprised you didn't squish it when it was in the diaper. Definitely a cool find though. I'd probably keep it and use if as a Halloween decoration.

Ewe, not sure I'd want those crawling around while I was sleeping though. I might accidentally swallow one in my sleep. Maybe you should spray your house so you don't have any surprises.

You probably feel like bugs are crawling all over you right now, don't you?

genhorrall said...

Ah, it looked like just a little turantula. Not much for looking at, great at eating bugs. They usually don't mess with people much, but can make ya sick if they bite, sort of like a bee sting for adults, but litte ones don't always handle it so well. I think you did great. We get alot of those out here. I just tell the kids not to mess with them and if they are in the house I try and get them outside, they usually just want to get away anyway.

Krystal said...

Ok so I thought I lived were the bugs are bad. I have never seen one that big! Good job on not letting the kids know. I need to work on that. I really haven't had to deal with bugs that bad in AZ. Lets hope it stays that way right? I mean what did Matt say when he saw that thing? I would have someone come spray your house. It helps. We do that out here. Good luck. I hope you never have to go through that again!

em said...

Okay. I'm breathing again. That first picture seriously sent my heart racing. That thing is SICK!! But also in a sick = cool kind of way... but EWEWEEWEWEWEWEWEWW! I would've screamed bloody murder if I saw that thing in my house; I can't believe your first response was to PICK IT UP and NOT THROW THE CLOSEST ANVIL ON IT! (Because don't we all have anvils handy at times like this?)

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh *shudder* I can't even think anymore now. UGH. Thank you for curing my fear of house centipedes (that, ironically, had cured my fear of spiders).

em said...

Also--sorry to take up so much room--the water! I thought it was oozing juiciness in the first picture, but is it just water from the cup?? Or what?? I have to know!

amyorr said...

That is worse then the centipedes we would get in PA. NASTY!

Dacia said...

What the heck is that THING!!! Remind me never to visit your house :)