I asked Aleah, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" After telling her that she probably doesn't really want to be a football player like her friend Trey, she decided that she wants to be a mom. Good thing she decided this so early.
I remember when I realized that I wanted to be a mom too, and sad to say that it wasn't until I already was.
You know when you're growing up, people are always asking you, "what do you want to be when you grow up?". I never really enjoyed the question because I never really knew or had a strong desire to be any one thing. When I was in 4th or 5th grade I wanted to be a chiropractor because one of my friends' dad was and he came and gave a presentation on what he does...so influential at that age. I also remember thinking that I was going to be the first woman in the NBA, well now they have the WNBA, and I honestly have no desire to be a part of that or the NBA for that matter. I can also remember wanting to be a Psychotherapist and a teacher and a clown, okay just kidding about the clown, but it would be fun, maybe.
Anyway, I always felt that I had to do something and be something that people would think was useful and worthy and respected. When people asked, I just said something that I thought they'd want to hear.
Well, years later, here I am doing what I always wanted to, but never knew it. A couple months after I had my first daughter, I had a profound moment and I finally realized that a mom is what I'm meant to be. I do admit, however, there are so many moments that I want to do other things, like go back to school and learn anything and everything, be a photographer, own a business, play the violin, get back into basketball and any other sport, read, read and read, write, play with photoshop, be a chef....seriously the list could go on forever. But when it comes down to it, I know I won't be happy if I didn't give my children everything. Each day I learn more and more of what it takes to be a mom and what sacrifice means. Sacrifice means, giving something up for the better of more. I give up my wants and desires because I know that it's for the better of my children. I know there is a time and a season for all things and that I will be given many opportunities to accomplish all that I want, but right now is the season to be the best mother I can to my children. (Don't get me wrong, I know that we should seek learning and develop our talents, which I do, I just know that the number one priority is to teach and play with my children.)
I can't thank the Lord enough for the family He has blessed me with, the one I come from and the one I've started. I am very happy with my proclaimed profession of being a mother and I really feel that there is no higher calling and that there's nothing better I could be doing right now. It's hard work, according to some, I asked Aleah what mommies do and she said, "put lips(lipstick) on". I'll assure some of you that I try to do more than put my lipstick on.
8 comments:
How cute is Aleah! I'm so glad that you have the perspective you have. I think I need a dose of it every once and awhile. Thanks!
But, hey...let's be honest! Good, smooth, pretty lips are important for when you receive "true love's kiss" (or kisses!!!) :-) :-) :-)
We all know all you do each and every day is sit in front of a mirror applying and re-applying lipstick. Don't try to fool us.
Your luck to have such sweet girls and they are lucky to have a mommy so dedicated to loving them.
We all know all you do each and every day is sit in front of a mirror applying and re-applying lipstick. Don't try to fool us.
Your luck to have such sweet girls and they are lucky to have a mommy so dedicated to loving them.
That's been a hard one for me, because I never really wanted to be a mom growing up. Not that I didn't want to be one, just that I was more egocentrical and thought about all the fun things I wanted to try and do and accomplish. So giving up my selfishness has been kind of sad, but totally worth it. But still, I think we all have days when we need to do something besides be the human hankie or we'll stop feeling like human beings. That's normal, right?
This post is beautiful. When I was little that is what I would tell people too.
I love your appreciation for your wonderful gift and I am so happy to hear that you see it. There are so many women out there that do not appreciate the wonderful gift that they have of being a mother. I am just so happy that you see it and want to be home with your little kiddo's, it truly is a blessing that not all can have!
I also love the song that you have playing, that is the song that my dad chose to dance with me to on my wedding day, it is a special song to me.
You have a wonderful daughter and you have to be an amazing mother for her to see that as the best job in the world!
P.S.
When did you grow up on me and start wearing lipstick??? I still don't! I suppose I need to grow up soon!
Thanks for this post. You are such a good mom. I hope I can be like you when I grow up!
Post a Comment